Yoon Suk-yeol’s foreign misadventures trigger another ratings downturn
South Korean administration’s efforts to bury embarrassing hot mic remark have only ensured it stays in the headlines
When presidents go abroad, they do so expecting to return home with accomplishments to tout domestically. Yoon Seok-yeol likely had similar expectations when he left for a trip that would take him to London, New York and Ottawa.
But instead of announcing its achievements, the administration spent much of the last week contorting itself to defend his actions and remarks.
Get the Daily Briefing
Start your day with
the South Korea stories that matter most –
as selected by
- 01Election watch: South Korean opposition in turmoil over how it selects lawmakers
- 02Why South Korea’s urban expansion is a double-edged sword for growth
- 03South Korea’s adoption scandal unveils harrowing realities
- 04Why South Koreans pursue convenience store dreams in an oversaturated market
- 05Cinema and controversy merge in South Korea’s historical debate
- 06A tale of two polls: Reading between the lines of Yoon’s clashing approval rates
- 07Election Watch: Centrist dreams falter as South Korea’s big tent party collapses
- 08Singlehood surges in South Korea as youth rethink marriage